I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
Philippians 4:13

Friday, September 21, 2012

Painted Faux Marble Buffet

Hello again from The French Hen's Nest

When I downsized a few years ago, I had a huge buffet, and a large dining room. I sold the buffet, and other pieces and moved into a smaller space. I had bought a French style dresser, and decided it would be perfect as a buffet. The front looked pretty good, nothing a furniture pen couldn't take care of. 







The top, however, needed a little help. Although I had never marbleized anything, I liked the look, and decided to give it a try. I first painted the top glossy white, and looked around for marbling tools. I found a couple of sponges and a few feathers. Thought, this should work. I started...knowing there was more white paint if needed. I had a tube of cadmium paint, and decided to make the striations with it, I made long streaks, thick and darker in places and thin and lighter in others. I used the sponge to spread the color in areas. After playing with it for a while, I decided it was good.





After waiting for it to dry, I applied two coats of wax to tone down the white. It has held up well. Everyone who sees it thinks it's the real thing, even the movers were concerned about breaking the marble top.




And here it is in my dining room with my $7 painted GW chairs (check them out here http://frenchhensnest.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-french-dining-chairs-annie-sloan.html.




I really like it, what do you think?

It's a more formal look, and easy to do. Give it a try, and let me know if this was helpful.  Thanks for dropping by.
Till next time,

Jeannie
Partying with Look What I made @ Creations by Kara
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Crazy Cute Thursdays @ Between You and Me
What have you Redone @ Redoux Interiors


Creations by Kara
< Furniture Feature FridaysThe Shabby NestPhotobucket
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting Mrs. White Twig & Tea and for leaving an awesome comment! The polyurethane does seem to yellow, but the Minwax polycrylic doesn't. I would recommend the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece of furniture! And, the marble top is amazing! Not everyone can get the faux marble right, but this looks beautiful! I love the traditional look! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, thank you so much for your kind words. Have a beautiful day. Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your angel story. Where would we be without our guardian angels.I know mine has saved me from car accidents to life threatening siituations.

    ReplyDelete

We Love It When You Comment!