I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
Philippians 4:13

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Louis XVI Chair Makeover

Hello again from The French Hen's Nest


My yellow french chair is different from my other french chairs.  It is a Louis XVI chair style and has no curvy lines at all.  Like so many of the things in my home,  I acquired it from my sister Jeannie when she moved from her Victorian home in New Bern back to Alexandria and decided to downsize.

It is so very roomy in the seat and very comfortable and I loved it just as it was.
(Beautiful just as it was)



Then one day while in Jo-anns I found the most beautiful fabric with a rooster medallion in red, blue and gold.  So very Frenchie, don't 
you think?

 



       (this is true color)

It was on the clearance rack plus 50% off!  $7.50yd.  I pushed it around the store for 30 minutes admiring it.  I fell in love with the fabric but couldn't think of how I would use it, so I left without it.  

Well, I kept thinking about that beautiful fabric (I saw it when I was going to sleep each night...) and it hit me that it would be perfect for my chair.  I went back to Jo-anns and it was still there but no longer additional 50% off.  Oh well, it was still not a bad price at $15 a yard.  I bought 2 yards to cover my chair.  I had to go back and get another yard since I knew some of the medallions would be destroyed while cutting out others to get the placement I wanted.  When I went back it was on sale again and I only paid $7.50 for the additional yard I needed.

 I started by removing the old fabric from the chair.
    There always seems to be 1000s of staples to remove but I was able to pull it off in spurts.  What a workout!  Sore arm the next day. The padding was still in good shape so I decided to reuse it. I used the old fabric as a pattern and replaced the back, padding and the front. 
  
Then I looked at my progress and realized the chair frame needed some freshening up. 

No way was I going to remove the work I had already done, so I taped on plastic bags to cover the fabric while I painted the chair.




  I had a favorite yellow I had used in my kitchen so I started with this.  Too yellow!
(too yellow)

Not sure of what to do next, I left the chair for a few days.  Then when I had to go to Lowe's for something else I saw a sample of Valspar " Dining Room Gold" and knew it was exactly what I wanted on my chair. I painted the chair and added back some gold highlights where they were originally.
 
  Perfect color!


I finished the upholstery and made the cushion cover.  
A note about the cushion cover.  I am always anxious when making a box cushion with piping since you have to get the corners just right on top and bottom or the cushion looks lopsided.  I discovered when I made my first slipcover (please check it out) that if you sew the piping to the side piece that wraps around the cushion, put it on the cushion, then fit and pin the top and bottom to the side piece, everything comes out matching.

Anyway here is the finished chair!    It's actually more yellow than the photo shows.
Little touches of gold- the chair insisted!


Don't you love the Rooster?  It's on the back of the chair and the reverse of the cushion.

 I am so happy with how it turned out!  My husband says it looks just like it did but fresher! I think it looks totally different!

Please let me know what you think.

Linda

Project cost          Behr Paint sample                    $   2.79
                            Fabric 3 yd on sale                     37.50 
                    Piping 4yd (40%off coupon)             1.00
                    Total Cost                                  $  41.29


We're partying with
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Crazy Cute Thursdays @ Between You and Me
Time Travel Thursday @ @ Brambleberry Cottage
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits @ Stone Gable
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Friday Blog Party @ Seaweed and Sassafras
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday @ At The Pickett Fence
Potpourri Friday @ 2805
Shabbilicious Friday @ Shabby Art Boutique
Show and Tell Friday @ Romantic Home
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
What have you Redone @ Redoux Interiors
Find A Friend Friday @ Sew Many Ways
Saturday Showoff @ The Rose Garden in Malevik
It’s Party Time @ Its So Very Cheri
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Sunday Showoff @ Twig Studios



MakingBoogieboard Cottagemop it up mondays



Our Delightful Home{Primp}Please join me on Wednesdays for my new HOME PartyBeyond The Picket Fence
Makingmop it up mondaysBoogieboard CottageMade in a Day
Pin It!

32 comments:

  1. Good Morning Linda, When I saw the first picture of your Louis XVI chair, I thought it was perfect and couldn't imagine that it could look nicer, BUT, you have totally changed it's look and I love it. I think it looks less formal and more casual now, but just as beautiful. You have done a fabulous job....as always I love your chair. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daphne for your nice comment! I hadn't thought about it looking less formal but that is exactly what I needed in my den/living room. I will be visiting you today. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. WOW, it's beautiful! You did a great job on your chair, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia! I jump into a project, then get anxious about how hard it is, break it down to tiny bites-and it usually turns out good. Sounds like life doesn't it? Love the name of your blog. We are blessed to be grandmas (Nonnas).
      Have a beautiful day!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda,
    Your chair is gorgeous! I LOVE it! Nice too because it had been your sister's. Thank you for sharing this with my HOME and have a lovely weekend.

    I have entered your name twice for the Giveaway. Being a Follower and placing the button on your sidebar gives you two entries. ;)

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The chair turned out so lovely..love the rooster! I am in the midst of removing the old upholstery from an old chair and it is about to do me in...my hands are so sore! I have taken many pictures along the way so I don't forget how to re-do it! The wood looks like a woodpecker got to it, there are so many staple and tack holes. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking it apart is the hardest part. Break it up in small bits and it's so do-able. I was nervous about gluing the new piping on but the right glue held it great ( Liquid Stitch). Good luck on your chair. You can do it!

      Thanks for commenting. It's very encouraging.
      Linda

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous chair redo--I love the shape of the chair, and that fabric you chose is fantastic! It's so pretty. You are very talented to be able to reupholster a chair--wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at your site I would say you are very talented! Reupholstering is just taking the dress off, using it as a pattern and stapling the dress back on! Thanks for your very kind comments. Honestly, I was surprised it turned out so good! We will be joining your site. Hope you will consider joining ours.

      Linda

      Delete
  6. Perfection! Thanks for the rundown on cost and the piping tips!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andie! Your Mirror redo has us clucking at the Hen's Nest! Your home is fab!

      Linda and Jeannie

      Delete
  7. Well done! This is a great chair makeover - I love the rooster too! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine for your sweet comment. I'm heading over to your blog. Can't wait to see what you are doing!

      Linda at the French Hen's Nest

      Delete
  8. I think it turned out fantastic! Love the rooster - it's such pretty fabric, I can see why you couldn't resist. Visiting you back and now following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and for joining us! Aren't comments encouraging?

      Have a beautiful weekend at B Farm! Wish I could visit!

      Linda

      Delete
  9. It is just lovely, you are so talented!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pollyanna! Necessity is the beginning of creativity. When I can't spend the money to have something done- I try it! And it's so much (work) fun too. I'm heading over to your blog now to take another look at that fab magazine holder!

      Linda

      Delete
  10. I really like this chair. You did a fabulous job on it. I very much like the fabric with the surprise rooster on the back! Really great.
    Blessings Paula Lusk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fixitfaerie! Love that Rooster. Wanted to join your blog but couldn't find the portal.

      Linda

      Delete
  11. That chair is swoon worthy! Fabulous job!
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I pray you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving. Your blog is so beautiful. The portrait photos are amazing. I would love to own that John Holyfield. Maybe I can find a print. We will be joining your party as soon as we can get something published!

      Linda

      Delete
  12. woow...that´s a great job :)
    and do not miss The....

    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    is still on.,,,,,,
    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda In love your chair. That rooster material was so bright and beuiful. You have a beautiful chair at a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you Saturday and you can sit in it!

      your sissy Linda

      Delete
  14. Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you liked my wreath~ yes it is a grapvine wispy wreath from Michaels. I am your newest follower!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us! I'm going to fight the crowd at Michaels tomorrow and get that wreath and copy yours! I've had the same wreath for 2 years and it's time for a change. I love yours.
      hope you had a beautiful Thanksgiving!
      Linda

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love your chair makeover. It turned out so beautiful and the cost is fantastic!


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it too it has beautiful lines! Vanna/your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Vanna and thanks for joining us. We love your blog! Have a great and blessed day.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jeannie! I am testing our link. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i know this blog post is a few years old, but i'm wondering if you could tell me where you got the Rooster fabric at the time, or if it's a particular brand (such as Waverly). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

We Love It When You Comment!