I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Easy Sew Valance Tutorial

Hello again from The French Hen's Nest 

Since we moved into our home 3 years ago we have had wood blinds at our dining room windows and no other window coverings.  Our view is our front yard and we have a lot of trees which means birds and squirrels to watch. I knew I wanted to make valances for the windows but I was waiting to see which way my decorating went.  This year we found a beautiful french dining table and chairs for a steal at Salvation Army so my dining room needed to be Frenchyfied. What's more French than Toile?

I found the fabric I wanted at Joann's and waited for it to go on sale.  Two weeks ago it was half price and I had a 20% off coupon so I paid $10.00 a yd for Waverly fabric, which full price is $25.00 yd. What a deal! I purchased 2 yd.
 
As you can see I chose a blue/white toile to go with the tiny blue/white check on the dining chairs. 





I don't have a cutting table so
I used a Simplicity cardboard 
cutting grid that I bought from Wal-Mart for $2.99.  I got all 
my supplies ready and spread out my fabric.



 I have 3 windows, each 32" wide.  The fabric is 54" wide and I needed 2x the width of the windows for the fullness. I ironed each yard in half making an easy cutting line and cut 4, 18" x 54 " pieces (#1).  

For the single window (32") I used one piece 54" wide and 18" from the 4th piece, sewing them together with a 1/2" seam. (#2) 

For the double window I sewed two 54" pieces and the remainder of the 4th piece (36") together. (#3)
I already had fabric I bought from GW for the lining so I cut this to match the toile.  I pinned the fabric together with right sides facing.  Then I sewed across the width, 1/2 " from the top and 1/2" from the bottom.  Since an uneven hem would make the valance top and bottom look uneven , I used a piece of blue painter's tape on my sewing machine as a guide.
My 20 yr old Singer!
After sewing top and bottom together, I turned the right sides out and pressed using the steam setting on the iron.  I then turned in about 1" on each open end and steam pressed.  I used pins to mark  3" from top for the curtain rod pocket.  The rod pocket will depend on the diameter of your curtain rod.  Once again I used a piece of blue painters tape 3" out from the needle as my guide to keep my seam straight.  You could mark with a disappearing ink pen instead. Then I stitched the sides beneath the rod pocket closed.

After pressing the valances once more I hung them up.


I'm really happy with how they turned out.  It was an easy project and took about 3 hours. The cost of fabric and thread was  $25.00 (I already had lining material). You should try it!

Linda

Partying with
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits @ Stone Gable

Home Wednesdays @ Rose Chintz Cottage
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday @ {PRIMP}
Crazy Cute Thursdays @ Between You and Me
100 Ideas Under $100 Thursdays @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage

{Primp}
Photobucket Beyond The Picket FenceThe Shabby Nest
Skip To My LouPlease join me on Wednesdays for my new HOME Party


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful french toile valances.
    Thanks for the tip on using the blue tape.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks beautiful! Love the colors! I make my own valances too. I have a Duralee Fabric Outlet about an hour from me, and they have beautiful fabric for 3.50 a yard, 54 in wide. I make a lot of tablecloths. They usually have remnants for a dollar a yard and if I am lucky I get enough for a tablecloth.
    Here from Stone Gables TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Linda, I have found your blog via StoneGable. I love your choice of material, the Wavererly fabric looks beautiful and at such a good price. I have enjoyed reading your blog and have become a follower. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    Kathleen you are blessed to have a fabric outlet near you. It is a niche that really needs filling in Raleigh. The "outlet" store here has nothing less than $10 yd.
    Thanks Daphne for following our blog! So very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! They are perfect in your space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda,

    I so enjoyed your comment on my blog today and decided to come by and say hello - then I found your cool giveaway. I just have to tell you, I love your valances! I've just picked up the exact same fabric in red and Joannes' the other day.

    After looking thru your posts, I think we could be friends! Wish I had a sister who could blog with me. Following you, looking forward to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda,
    Well, you must know that I LOVE your toile valances! Being a toile lover myself, I have a little bit of toile in most rooms of my home. I have a red valance exactly like your blue in my den. Only, sad to say, I bought mine. Would love to be able to sew!
    I love your windows and the blue china; makes such a charming picture of domesticity! Seems I'm using the word 'love' a lot but I do love toile! LOL.
    You had inquired about where I keep all my teapots... My kitchen cabinets are open up top so I keep the majority of them up there on display. A few others are sitting on shelves.
    Thank you for sharing your gorgeous toile valances at my HOME and have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful window treatment...How I love toile. In my last home I had a half bath that was wallpapered from head to toe in this same romantic blue toile print. I loved it and never grew tired of it. I now have touches of red toile throughout my current home.
    You did such a wonderful job and thank you so much for your tutorial.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might use this valence idea for my mums kitchen. My mother passed away in August and I am now preparing her home for to sell in January. Mum has a fixed wooden pelmet in the kitchen which had some heavy looking curtains covered with fruit. I have removed the curtains to let in the light but unfortunately cannot remove the pelmet as it has been tiled around and if I remove it I will be opening "a can of worms" (if you know this saying), basically a lot more work...so...I think I will just simply soften the look of the wooden pelmet with a valance hanging behind it.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know "a can of worms"! Don't open it! It might work if you make a shorter than normal valance so light still comes in. So sorry your mum isn't with you in body. I know she is with you in spirit. I will pray for you to be comforted. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting.

      Affectionately,
      Linda

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

We Love It When You Comment!